1. No “Mad Men” star has EVER won for acting on the show. The show itself has won several awards . . . including Best Drama four years in a row.
2. Emmy campaigns can cost half a million dollars. Yeah, you’re not just PICKED for a nomination. Your studio puts you up for it . . . and pays an ENTRY FEE. Then they send DVD screeners to all the voters and launch an ad campaign on billboards and in the Hollywood trade publications.
3. “Seinfeld” only won Best Comedy ONCE, in 1993. Then “Frasier” beat it for the rest of its run . . . which was the next five years. Jerry Seinfeld and Jason Alexander never won for their acting on the show. But Michael Richards won three times, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus won once.
4. The very first Emmy was given to a PUPPET. It was in 1949, when TV was mostly LOCAL. So the first Emmys were only for Los Angeles-area programming, and the first Emmy went to ventriloquist Shirley Dinsdale and her puppet Judy Splinters.
5. No African-American has ever won Best Actress in a Drama. There was a lot of talk that KERRY WASHINGTON from “Scandal” would break that streak last night. But Whitey crushed her dreams and gave the Emmy to “Homeland” star CLAIRE DANES again.
6. “Saturday Night Live” has the most nominations for any show, with 171.
7. In 1974, they tried something new called “Super Emmys”. They gave overall acting awards, such as Actor and Actress of the Year in a Series. Alan Alda and Mary Tyler Moore won them. The idea was abandoned the following year.
8. David Letterman has crushed Jay Leno at the Emmys. Leno may get better ratings, but Letterman has six Emmys to Jay’s ONE.
9. CLORIS LEACHMAN has the most Primetime Emmys, with EIGHT. Her first win was in 1973 . . . and more recently she picked up two for guesting on “Malcolm in the Middle”.
10. Bill Maher has been nominated 29 times for his late-night shows. He has NEVER WON.
11. Betty White is the oldest-ever nominee . . . and the oldest winner. Betty won an Emmy in 2010, at the age of 88. And she was nominated again in 2012, when she was 90.