10 Pop Stars Who’ve Threatened to Quit Music
Pop artists are no strangers to calling it quits, or threatening to maybe retire. Many of the musicians who declare their exits from the business make swift returns to the stage or the studio. Check out these 10 artists who at one point threatened to quite making music:
1. Chris Brown. The R&B singer recently declared he was going to quit the music business because he was “tired of being famous for a mistake.“ That mistake being beating up then-girlfriend Rihanna in 2009.
2. Jay Z. After 2003’s The Black Album the hip-hop star announced his retirement with a charity concert at Madison Square Garden. He spent three years working on side projects before fully returning with 2006’s Kingdom Come.
3. Cher. She’s come and gone with more regularity than cicadas. However, in 2005, she embarked on Living Proof: The Farewell Tour. Three years later, she began a residence at Caesar’s Palace.
4. Phil Collins. The former Genesis frontman announced his retirement in 2011 to address health concerns. He’s still laying low, while watching daughter Lily climb the Hollywood ladder.
5. Barbra Streisand. Streisand fans paid top dollar to enjoy one last glimpse of Babs on her 1999-2000 Timeless farewell tour. She launched another lucrative tour in 2006 and again in 2012.Ma$e. Hearing a “calling from God“ in 1999, Ma$e gave up his rap career for the ministry. Five years later, he returned with a cleaner image and comeback album Welcome Back.
6. Garth Brooks. Garth Brooks was the reigning king of country music when he gave up recording and performing in 2000 to concentrate on raising his daughters. It would be nine years before he reemerged with a weekend residency at Encore Las Vegas.
7. 50 Cent. Rapper 50 Cent vowed to quit if Kanye West’s Graduation topped his album Curtis their first week out. It was, he later admitted, just a publicity stunt.
8. David Bowie. Ziggy Stardust never officially retired, but in 2006 announced he was stepping back from performing and recording. It’d be seven years before he made his surprise return earlier this year with the album The Next Day.
9. Toni Braxton. R&B singer Toni Braxton announced earlier this year she was quitting music to focus on acting. That didn’t last long. She’s now announced a collaboration with Babyface called Love, Marriage and Divorce which will be out this fall.
Read more about Pop-Stars that have threatened to quit here