Keep Stress Away Easier!
November 9, 2011 3:00 PM
Next week is National Stress Out Week, which, contrary to what the name implies, means it’s time to try to combat toxic stress and tension. In honor of the occasion, below is a short, simple list of some of the best ways to tackle stress.
- First, understand what stress does to your mind and body. Identify which type of stress you carry (acute, immediate, temporary, chronic, etc.) For acute stress, calm your mind with deep breaths. Chronic stress requires more practice in stopping the stress reflex as soon as it starts.
- Meditation has been proven to relieve chronic pain and stress. Try Googling some meditation videos to get started.
- Another reason to exercise regularly: doing so actually prepares our bodies to deal with stress, making our bodies more resistant. Yoga is also a great stress reliever.
- Is a particular person making you crazy and upping your stress levels? Put as many people between you and crazy as possible, and disengage.
- Develop a personal renewal program involving exercise, relaxing with friends or family, enjoy hobbies more often, and disengage from stressful environments altogether.
- If money problems are at the root of your stress, try donating to charity, or conversely, open a new savings account and put away a small amount each month.
- If you’re going to worry, or stress, schedule a time to do so. It’s unusual, but possible effective, depending on the situation.