As the death toll continues to rise in tsunami-ridden Japan following an earthquake that registered a whopping 8.9 on the Richter scale, relief efforts are being organized around the world. Experts say that the aftermath appears even worse than the destruction that ripped Haiti.
Here are ways you can help provide relief to those who need it:
- Text “redcross” to 90999, and you can make a $10 donation to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. The charge will show up on your next bill.
- Text “med” to 80888 to send the International Medical Corps a $10 donation. The charge will show up on your next bill.
- Text “TSUNAMI” to 50555 to donate $10 to Convoy of Hope, whose Disaster Response team is in contact with partners in Japan and identifying areas in the greatest need of assistance. You can also donate online at convoyofhope.org.
- Donate to the Salvation Army‘s relief efforts, which include assessing damages, providing food, water and other necessities.
- Donate to AmeriCares, an organization that provides medical relief and humanitarian assistance in times of natural disasters.
- Donate to Save the Children’s Emergency Fund, who is sending additional assistance to Japan.
- Donate to Global Giving’s Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Relief Fund, which disburses funds to organizations providing relief and emergency services to victims of the earthquake and tsunami.
- Donate to Direct Relief International, who has mobilized and staged materials at their headquarters, standing by ready for airlift to Japan.